Thursday, January 5, 2012

Thursday, Jan 5, 2012 Victor Barocas

Theme: All for one, and one for all


1A, 6A, 9A: SCHWATHOSPOON

20A, 22A: SEAPORTHOSTESS

54A, 58A: BARBARAMISSIVE

69A, 70A, 71A: RADARTAGNANOS

40A: THREE MUSKETEEERS

Each of the four main characters of Alexander Dumas' novel "The Three Musketeers" concealed in the grid. Athos, Porthos and Aramis were the "three"; D'Artagnan was not yet a Musketeer, he was bidding to join the ranks of those elite.

Nicely misleading at first, I was wondering what SEAPORT and HOSTESS could thematically have in common until I got the unifier at 40A, then the penny slowly dropped.

I don't think I'm alone in visualizing the four as being swordsman with suitably flashing blades, but the Musketeers really did carry muskets. I suppose the early Hollywood scriptwriters didn't find firearms as romantic or dramatic as cold, hard steel, and therefore that's the image we've been carrying ever since.

Across:

1. The "u" sound in "circus" : SCHWA I did not know this, learned something right off the bat.

6. Even if, for short : THO

9. Ladle cousin : SPOON. Certainly a much smaller relative.

14. "Yond Cassius has __ and hungry look" : A LEAN. Maybe he'd been given spoon-sized helpings.

15. Water in Côte d'Ivoire : EAU. Plenty of this off the Ivory Coast.

16. Dispute : ARGUE. You can have an argument, can you have a disputment?

17. Spicy Indian dish : CURRY. Food! I've been told the word is unknown in any of the languages spoken in India.

18. One side of the GW Bridge : NYC. De udder end is in Noo Joisey.

19. Preserves, in a way : SALTS. The verb, not the plural noun. Salted Jellies anyone?

20. Rotterdam, for one : SEAPORT. The one in the Netherlands, not the one in New York. There's a Curry Road in Rotterdam, NY.

22. Party person : HOSTESS. She's the one with the mostest.

24. Schnozzola : SNOOT. You cock a snoot to be described as snooty.

26. Tell it like it isn't : LIE. GW of 18A fame never told one.

27. TV's Dr. House, e.g. : LIMPER. Wanted LIMEY at first, until it didn't fit.

30. Enjoy a kiddie pool : WADE. That's a deep kiddie pool. I paddle.

32. Many a GI : PVT. Plenty of Joes, but more Privates in the General Infantry

35. Plains native : OTOE. I think I might have seen this before?

36. "... from my snow-white pen the __-coloured ink": Shak. : EBON. Nice "Shak" to clue the abridged "EBONy".

38. Bender : SPREE. Drinking, not shopping?

40. With "The," classic novel, each of whose major characters is hiding in a row of this puzzle : THREE MUSKETEERS

43. Thrift, briefly : SANDL. A flip-flop missing a toe? No, a Savings & Loan.

44. Crack : STAB. Something you can't do with a musket, but perhaps D'Artagnan had a crack at it.

45. Snug retreat : NEST. Feathered, preferably. Or is that a bad thing?

46. Super Bowl highlights, for many : ADS. Hand up for trying TDS first. The commercials are usually more entertaining than the touchdowns.

47. Luncheon follower? : ETTE. Has anyone ever eaten at one of these?

49. Takes a position : OPINES. A good puzzle today, in my opinion.

51. Eggs, biologically : OVA

52. Biden's 2008 counterpart : PALIN. Not sure either Joe or Sarah would appreciate the comparison.

54. Boxer from California : BARBARA. She's one of my Senators.

58. Letter : MISSIVE. Is a ten-page letter a massive missive?

62. __ a time : ONE AT. Luncheonette Etiquette dictates you are served one at a time

63. One in an unhappy chorus : BOO. Two boos and it's an owie.

65. Shroud city : TURIN. You ladle soup out of a Turin? Oh no, that's a tureen. Spooky shroud though.

66. Wind: Pref. : ANEMO. An anemometer measures wind speed. Say "anemometer" three times quickly.

67. Coffee holder : URN. It held tea last time I came across it here, I hope Rich rinsed it out.

68. '30s Chan portrayer : OLAND. Warner Oland. A name to add to the very short list of "Swedish Actors I know".

69. Control tower tracker : RADAR. Radio Detection And Ranging. Warner Oland is now on mine.

70. Game for it? : TAG. You're It.

71. Some iPods : NANOS. Mine's a Classic.

Down:

1. Pouches : SACS. I wanted to French-pronounce pouches "poo-shays" when I saw the answer.

2. This is one : CLUE

3. A sister of Demeter : HERA. Those Greeks, difficult to keep them all straight.

4. "Star Trek" measure : WARP SPEED. Cap'n, I cannae hold her much longer!

5. Whomever : ANYONE. "Whomever for Tennis?" doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

6. Nearing the hour : TEN TO. This sounds like Greenwich Mean Time to me. It's "ten of" PST.

7. Farm gathering : HAY. Make it while the sun shines.

8. Pained interjection : OUCH. That reminds me, I need to make a dentist appointment.

9. As fresh as they come : SASSIEST. Don't waste your Scrabble S's on this word.

10. Chatter : PRATE. Chatterers chat, prattlers prate. Why don't chattlers chat or prattlers prat?

11. Seriously check out : OGLE. Don't do this in front of your Significant Other. Trust me on this.

12. Inning enders : OUTS. Technically only the third out ends the inning.

13. Largest Scottish loch by volume : NESS. Contains the largest Scottish monster by volume.

21. Composer of the 2005 opera "Our Town" : ROREM. Of course he was. I'll take Victor's word for this.

23. Word with man or maid : OLD. I wanted MER first, then couldn't get Ethel Merman out of my mind.

25. Texas dance : TWO STEP. You take three steps in Alabama, according to Lynyrd Skynyrd.

27. Many, informally : LOTSA.

28. "__ to Be You" : IT HAD.

29. E'ens' counterparts : MORNS. Mornings for Evenings, not Odds for Evens.

31. "Puppy Love" singer : ANKA. For my generation it was Donny Osmond.

32. Get ready for the prom, say : PREEN. Who preens, the guy or the girl?

33. Frost product : VERSE. Who takes the road less travelled by? I take the freeway, I live in LA.

34. Medical battery : TESTS. Not a pacemaker power source.

37. Exceed 21, in a way : BUST. A blackjack "darn" moment.

39. The Crimea, e.g. : PENINSULA. Let's have the Lake Erie and Put-In  Bay conversation again!

41. Car in a shaft : ELEVATOR. I'm from the old country, we have lifts.

42. Where Christ stopped, in a Carlo Levi title : EBOLI. I thought this was a tropical disease.

48. La Brea goo : TAR. Funny how goop and goo are the same thing. Waste of a good P there.

50. One of six in a V-6 engine : PISTON. Cylinder and Spark Plug wouldn't fit.

51. "Dreams From My Father" memoirist : OBAMA

53. Surrounded by : AMONG.

54. Tusked mammal : BOAR. Is a long-winded tusker a bore?

55. Alexei Karenin's wife : ANNA. I thought her last name was Karenina?

56. English horn, for one : REED. It's brass, but it's a reed instrument. Causes confusion about where to sit in the orchestra.

57. Lie alongside : ABUT. Has to be close enough to touch, I think.

59. Caspian Sea country : IRAN

60. Rosso o bianco : VINO. Magnifico. What's your favorite Italian wine?

61. Closes : ENDS. I'm almost at the close.

64. Tuscan time period : ORA. How much wine can you drink  in an hour?

That's it from me today.

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment